I recently watched the CNN film “Blackfish”, which documents the lives of orca whales in captivity at Seaworld. This is an eye opening film that shares urgent messages regarding the welfare of these magnificent beings. I invite all to please take the time to watch it and become informed on this topic.
After learning more about what has been really happening with animals in our animal parks like Seaworld, I feel this cruel, inhumane treatment allowed to carried out in the name of profit or human entertainment, should not be allowed to continue EVEN ONE MORE DAY.
Sea life animals can’t vote. They are counting on us (including you 🙂 ) to take action in their support. Please, please watch this film and heed any call in your heart to take action as well.
One thing you can do is sign the petition here. I did. This petition, started by Ric O’Barry of The Dolphin Project http://dolphinproject.org/, calls for a permanent law banning Capture in US waters of Dolphins & Whales for Public Display.
Another great watch is: Orca:The Sacred Whale award-winning broadcast.
If you missed the film BLACKFISH in its original airing on CNN on October 24, 2013, at the end of the article below you’ll find upcoming dates CNN plans to rebroaHdcast BLACKFISH.
Love, peace and blessings,
P.S. Did you know that a collapsed dorsel fin (as visible in the picture of Tilikim attached to this article) only occurs in 1% of the orca whale population in the wild? As I learned in the movie BLACKFISH, a great majority of captive whales have collapsed dorsel fins.
BLACKFISH Hitting the Waves on CNN
While continuing to shock, mesmerize, and inspire moviegoers worldwide, the documentary film BLACKFISH has now splashed its way onto CNN this week with a series of interviews, teasers, and unprecedented promotional advertising leading up to a nationwide broadcast Thursday, October 24 at 9pm ET/PT. (see additional broadcast times listed below)
After debuting at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, this critically acclaimed film has gone on to receive praise at numerous film festivals around the globe and has seen a successful run amid sold-out crowds in movie theaters worldwide.
Brought to us in conjunction with Magnolia Pictures, CNN Films and distributed by Dogwoof, this outstanding documentary film has received rave reviews from movie critics for its exceptional work bringing the controversial yet important realities of keeping orcas in captivity to the attention of millions of viewers.
About the film (from Dogwoof):
Blackfish tells the story of Tilikum, a performing killer whale that killed several people while in captivity. Along the way, director-producer Gabriela Cowperthwaite compiles shocking footage and emotional interviews to explore the creature’s extraordinary nature, the species’ cruel treatment in captivity, the lives and losses of the trainers and the pressures brought to bear by the multi-billion dollar sea-park industry.
This emotionally wrenching, tautly structured story challenges us to consider our relationship to nature and reveals how little we humans have learned from these highly intelligent and enormously sentient fellow mammals.
Watch the official film trailer below:
Did you miss the premier of CNN Film’s BLACKFISH on Thursday, October 24 and the encore performances?
You still have a chance to see it! CNN will rebroadcast BLACKFISH at the times listed below. (NOTE: times shown are eastern standard time. Check your local listings).
- Saturday, November 02, 2013 @ 7:00pm ET on CNN (4:00pm PT)
- Sunday, November 03, 2013 @ 9:00pm ET on CNN (6:00pm PT)
- Monday, November 04, 2013 @ 12:00am ET on CNN (Sunday 9:00pm PT)
- Monday, November 04, 2013 @ 3:00am ET on CNN (Monday 12:00am PT)
Be sure to tune-in or set your DVR to record this epic event and tell your friends and family to watch!
Recent interviews and reports now online:
- CNN Films: CNN’s Blackfish page with video clips, interviews & analysis
- Director-Producer Gabriela Cowperthwaite tells CNN “why she made Blackfish“
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “Can Killer Whales be in captivity safely?”
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “Blackfish’: Troubled orca’s early history”
- CNN Op-Ed by Dr. Naomi Rose: “A win-win solution for captive orcas and marine theme parks”
- CNN Video: Gabriela Cowperthwaite talks about “The truth behind orcas in captivity”
- CNN Video: Brooke Baldwin interviews the Orca Network’s Howard Garrett about Blackfish
- CNN Poll: 86% of respondents say they will not bring their family to SeaWorld (Seattle PI)
- CNN Video: Crossfire with “The Killer in the Pool” author Tim Zimmermann. (video)
- CNN Video: Special Report with AWI Marine Mammal Scientist Dr. Naomi Rose, “Blackfish” director/producer Gabriela Cowperthwaite & Jack Hannah hosted by Martin Savidge (video)
- CNN Report: Orca trainer saw best of Keiko, worst of Tilikum with former trainer Colin Baird
- CNN Polls: Courtney Vail of WDC “Loud and Clear: The Public Says ‘NO!’ to Captivity”
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “The Fallout from Blackfish: Heated debate ensues online & social networks”
- CNN’s Martin Savidge: “Can killer whales safely be set free?”
Have you seen the movie and now wonder what to do? Visit our “How to Help” page and see how you can get involved and make a difference for these magnificent beings.
MANY thanks to our friends Gabriela Cowperthwaite, co-producer Manny Oteyza, associate producer Tim Zimmermann, Magnolia Pictures, CNN Films, Dogwoof, and of course… a special heartfelt THANK YOU to our dear friends… the former trainers of “Voice of the Orcas (VOTO)”, scientists, researchers, journalists and many others who helped make this game-changing film possible!