By Alex Jordon
Posted Friday, August 29, 2014 at 05:23pm EDT
Looking for new ways to eat chia seeds? These delicious powerhouses are loaded with calcium, magnesium, iron, protein, vitamins A, B, D and E, as well as fiber and Omega 3s. They will help control your appetite because they keep you feeling full longer, lower your risk of heart disease and diabetes, and improve bone health, especially in anyone who eschews dairy.
So, eat your chia seeds; and try eating them in new, and fun, ways. From chia pudding to chia pops, these ideas will have you excited to eat your chia!
1) One great way to get more chia seeds into your diet (and your family’s) is by adding them to anything you bake. If you have a sweet tooth and love baking brownies or cookies, add a tablespoon (or two) of chia seeds to the batter. It will not change the taste at all, and if you prefer a little crunch, you can add even more and give your baked goods a nutty crunch.
2) If you have a protein shake or a green smoothie for breakfast, toss in a teaspoon of chia seeds. Again, it will not change the taste, but will add a powerful punch of nutrients.
3) Chia pudding is all the rage lately, and for good reason: This stuff is delicious! To make chia pudding, simply mix the following ingredients together and then store in the fridge until it thickens. If you want to get crazy, mix it up! Add fruit, add pomegranate seeds, add chocolate! Whatever you love, add it and see how it turns out.
- 1 cup milk (almond milk is a great choice)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 teaspoons sweetener (you can use stevia, sugar, maple syrup, honey whatever you prefer)
4) Ever heard of a chia pop? Basically add three tablespoons of chia seeds to two cups of any type of milk, and then mix. Next, add one tablespoon of sugar, and mix. Now add berries or the fruit of your choice and stir. Then simply pour this mixture into popsicle molds and freeze. Voila, a tasty, cool snack for hot days!
5) Chocolate mousse is one of everyone’s favorite desserts, and it can be made healthier with chia seeds. You will need:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (not coconut oil!)
- 4 to 5 tbsp of sweetener (maple syrup works best here)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
Grind the chia seeds in a coffee grinder for about 30 seconds and set aside. In a food processor, process the coconut milk, coconut butter, sweetener and vanilla. Then add in the cacao powder and process until smooth. Add the chia seeds and process until the pudding is completely smooth. Pour into individual bowls and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before enjoying.
Top with berries, chocolate curls, almond slices…or nothing at all! It is delicious as is!
More from Alex Jordon:
Read the full article here: http://blogs.naturalnews.com/5-fun-ways-eat-chia-seeds/